With three Supersport World titles in recent years and local dominance, the track focused R6’s fierce winning reputation has been hard earned.
- Beauty, Technology, Speed: The YZF-R6 has it all! On track or street, the YZF-R6® is one of the most advanced supersport machines ever built. Aerodynamic MotoGP® styling wraps up an incredibly intelligent racing machine, complete with ABS brakes, top-shelf suspension and a full suite of electronic rider aids.
- Unparalleled Racetrack Success The Yamaha YZF-R6 has won more AMA middleweight races and championships than any other 600cc sportbike, making it the number one choice for amateur and professional racers alike.
- Legendary R6 Handling The R6 combines superior mass centralization with highly-developed suspension and refined ergonomics to become one of the most nimble machines in the supersport class. The result is awesome road feedback, traction feel, and greater cornering confidence.
- Thrilling Power and Control With a class-leading, high-revving four-cylinder powerplant at its heart, and traction control and D-Modes allowing the rider to extract even more performance from the potent engine, the R6 screams across the start/finish line ahead of the pack.
- Cutting Edge Engine Design The R6 is powered by a compact and lightweight 599cc DOHC liquid- cooled four-cylinder engine featuring the latest manufacturing technology. Sixteen titanium valves, a high 13.1:1 compression ratio and lightweight forged pistons allow for smooth, high-revving power. Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores provide excellent heat dissipation and reduced friction. Magnesium engine covers minimize engine weight.
- Race-Tested Variable Intake System The YZF-R6 features Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I®)—which electronically changes the effective intake tract length to give the benefits of both shorter and taller intake stacks in a single engine—for a broader, more tractable powerband. The twin injector intake system also uses shower-style fuel injectors above the intakes to provide optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Compact 6-Speed Transmission A close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration to suit the engine output, and is designed to be very compact. The crankshaft, input and output shafts are “stacked” in a triangular layout to centralize mass and keep the engine shorter front- to-back, which allows optimized engine placement in the frame for outstanding handling.
- Racing-Derived Slipper Clutch Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch reduces engine braking effects and eases aggressive downshifting from high speed.
- Compact Titanium Exhaust The midship titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP®—Yamaha’s Exhaust Ultimate Power Valve—for a broad powerband, along with an oxygen sensor for spot-on fuel injection and clean-running emissions.
- GP-Style Deltabox® Frame
The YZF-R6 Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates years of GP development in terms of geometry, engine positioning and rigidity, resulting in the gold standard in 600-class handling. The R6 combines lightning-fast handling agility with confidence-inspiring mid-corner stability.
- Magnesium Rear Subframe A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization, while the flat and narrow seat makes it easier to reach the ground and gives riders more room to maneuver during aggressive racetrack riding.
- Aluminum Fuel Tank The aluminum alloy fuel tank shaves over 2.5 pounds compared to an equivalent steel tank, lowering the bike’s center of gravity while improving rider ergonomics. The graceful curves of aluminum are accentuated by hand-welded craftsmanship for a truly beautiful finalized part.
- R1-Derived KYB® Fork To ensure class-leading front-end feel and confidence, the YZF-R6 features the advanced KYB® 43mm fork found on the R1, tuned specifically for the R6. With excellent damping and awesome feedback from the front tire, the fork offers exceptional adjustability, with all adjustments at the top of the fork.
- Advanced KYB® Shock The lightweight swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. The piggyback shock design features four-way preload and damping adjustability for effective wheel control across a wide variety of conditions.
- Powerful Brakes with ABS The YZF-R6 uses the same components found on the R1, including 320mm front rotors, gripped by four-piston radial-mount calipers, and actuated by a Nissin® radial-pump master cylinder. The result is excellent power with precise control. A lightweight rear caliper supports the front system, and ABS is standard for enhanced braking on imperfect road surfaces.
- Aggressive R-Series Styling
The YZF-R6 presents a sleek profile that expresses the next generation of Yamaha R-series styling. The LED marker lights create a striking face centered on the MotoGP®-style ram air intake. Futuristic and aggressive, the R6 stands out compared to anything else on the road or track today
- Top-Notch Aerodynamics The smoothly flowing front ‘face’ and bodywork achieves the highest level of aerodynamic efficiency of any production Yamaha in history, improving top speed on the racetrack. The cross-layered fairing design also ensures excellent airflow to cool the engine with minimal drag.
- LED Lighting Like the YZF-R1, the R6 uses compact LED headlights that are tucked away for a less mechanical appearance while still providing brilliant illumination. The front LED turn signals are integrated into the mirrors for a sleeker style, while the rear LED taillight is ultra-compact to match the narrow tail unit.
- Ready to Accessorize The YZF-R6 is ready to hit the racetrack straight from the showroom floor, but for riders looking for the extra edge, an accessory Quick Shift System can be installed to allow for clutchless full-throttle upshifts for maximum acceleration.
- Advanced Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle
The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T®) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider and instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening, and then actuates the throttle valves to actively control intake volume. This technology gives the rider the precise level of control required to push the envelope at racing speeds.
- Adjustable Traction Control System A Traction Control System (TCS) assists the rider in managing traction on various road conditions by quickly modulating throttle opening, ignition timing and fuel volume. On the R6, the TCS is designed to intervene extremely smoothly, for minimal disruption to forward drive, with six modes (plus off) to suit various road conditions and rider preferences.
- Selectable Drive Mode (D-Mode) The YZF-R6 features Yamaha’s D-Mode system, allowing the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation and preferences. The rider can choose from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different throttle response characteristics at the push of a button.
- Stylish Instrumentation The YZF-R6 features a combination analog and digital LCD instrument package that displays a huge range of information, including a programmable shift light, fuel economy, dual trip meters with miles-on-reserve function, and indicators for the electronic rider aids, including TCS and D-Mode.
4-stroke, liquid-cooled, forward-inclined series 4-cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves
Bore x stroke
67.0 mm x 42.5 mm
87.1 kW (118.4HP) at 14,500 / min
61.7 Nm (6.3 mkp) at 10.500 / min
Oil bath, multiple discs
Electronic petrol injection
Sequential transmission, 6-speed
6.6 l / 100km
154 g / km
Bridge tube frame
Telescopic fork, Ø 43 mm
Front spring travel
Swingarm, over lever system tied spring strut
2 washers, Ø 320 mm
1 disc, Ø 220 mm
120/70 ZR17M / C (58W) Tubeless
180/55 ZR17M / C (73W) Tubeless
Weight, ready to drive, fully refueled
Oil tank capacity